The AFL and its clubs have signalled broad support for a wildcard weekend from 2018 onwards, to give clubs outside the eight a chance to play finals.
Here are the pros and cons of such an idea.
- Will make AFL more money
- Will make clubs more money
- Will make broadcasters more money
- Isn’t the 17-5 idea, which was worse, but that’s like saying being punched in the face is better than being shot
- Is breathtakingly awful
- Is a brazen cash grab, even for the AFL
- Enables a club that shouldn’t be in the finals to potentially play finals
- Is the exact moment we mark the end of civilisation and when it became clear that the future belongs to the machines
You can help support me in producing this ridiculous nonsense I churn out on a regular basis. My aim is to keep as much of my stuff on this site and available to everyone and not behind paywalls. Find out more here: https://titusoreily.com/support-titus